Tuesday, March 31, 2009


Pathway:
Posterolateral hypothalamus --> 1st order neurone
1st order neuron terminates at ciliospinal center of BUDGE at C8-T2 (T1)
2nd order neuron: from Ciliospinal centre of BUDGE enters cervical sympathetic chain
Terminates at the superior cervical ganglion at the bifurcation of CCA at C3-C4
3rd order neuron (post ganglionic pupillomotor fibres) exit the ganglion and ascends via ICA entering cavernous sinus, briefly joining CN6 before entering orbit via SOF with CNV1 via the long ciliary nerve which innervates the pupillary dilator and Mullers
3rd order neuron (post ganglionic sudomotor and vasomotor) branch off the ganglion and travel along ECA to innervate the face.
Clinical S/S:
- miosis (paralysis of pupillary dilator)
- enopthalmos (loss of tone of the muscles of the floor of orbit
- partial ptosis (loss of tone of superior tarsal muscle of Muellers)
- slight elevation of lower lid (upside down ptosis due to loss of tone of lower tarsal muscles)
Features would be seen in congenital horners: heterochromia
Diagnosis:
2 tests: cocaine 4% or adrenaline 1:1000
These tests help us determine whether it is above or below the superior cervical ganglion
For example, with a lesion distal to the superior cervical ganglion:
addition of cocaine 4% will:
affected eye --> no changes
unaffected eye --> dilates
for a lesion proximal to the superior cervical ganglion:
affected eye --> dilates
unaffected eye --> dilates
Another example with adrenaline 1:1000 eyedrops:
Distal lesion:
affected eye --> dilates
unaffacted eye --> no changes
Proximal lesions:
affected eye: no change
unaffected eye: no change
Thus if a patient presents with unilateral partial ptosis with upside down ptosis: check for vasomotor and sudomotor changes to determine level. If you suspect the patient having a lesion proximal to the superior cervical ganglion: look at the neck. In the local context, most probably due to pancoast tumour. So what you should do:
1. ask about sudomotor and vasomotor symptoms (to confirm suspicion of level)
2. offer to do and actually inspect and examine the lower neck for signs of SVCO and cervical lymphadenopathy
3. offer to examine the upper chest
4. offer confirmatory tests: 4% cocaine and 1:1000 adrenaline, of which the affected eye will dilate with 4% cocaine but will not with 1:1000 adrenaline

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive I was so worried am I going to die soon. I continue my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd,HPV,Cancer, Hepatitis,Shingles, Diabetes,Epilepsy,Infertility, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement, the same few doctors and they represent a very small fraction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info...Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967,Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com

April 15, 2022 at 9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home